Yeast substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yadaddy5

Reaction score
Brewing a German dunkelweizen. Calls for a safbrew #t-58 yeast, however, I only have a safale #us-05 and a safbrew wb-06 yeast. Do you think either of these would be safe to sub and not affect the beer too bad?

Also, have a summer wheat that I'm looking to add cherry extract to. At what stage do I need to add the cherry?

The thing about dunkelweizen is that, for style, you must use a Belgian weizen-type yeast, T-58 being the dry equivalent of White Labs WLP500, or Wyeast 1214. The other two yeast you specify either have way too clean a yeast profile (the US-05, almost no yeast character whatsoever, made to allow the hops or grains to come to the fore), or almost no fruit finish, though the WB-06, being of a Bavarian wheat style, would be your closest bet.

In a pinch, I'd try the WB-06, but be prepared for less "umph" on the old tastebuds. Still, it'll make beer, and that's what we all want, right? :D

EDIT: You know, now that I read the specs on WB-06, I wonder if ramping up the temps past 75F would bring out more esters... http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safbrew_WB-06_HB.pdf

If you try WB-06, make certain you stop back here to let us know how it tastes! I've not used too many of the dry yeasts, but I had a really good result recently with S-33, and I'm starting to rethink my prejudice against dry yeasts... ;)

Oh, and as for the cherry extract, most people add it to the bottling bucket at bottling time. If you have the 4oz bottle, use the whole thing for a 5gal batch. However, it's going to give you aroma, but not much taste.

Years ago I did a batch of cherry wheat on frozen tart cherries. I used four pounds thawed in the secondary (racked off primary with a good amount of yeast coming over), and it took off again fermenting. Waited about 10 days to bottle. It was subtle, but the taste was there. However, after I forgot about half the batch in furthest corner of the basement, and found it six months later, I couldn't believe how close it was to a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat! Real fruit puree is what I'd use, in secondary, if I were going to do it again.

That cherry extract is stronger than you think. I would add an ounce or two and taste it.

Yeah, I've heard that, as well. I've never used it. If you look at Northern Brewer's site, and look up the cherry stout recipe, some people reviewing it said it tasted great, some said like cough syrup, some said they used half, some said they wished they had more... To each, his own. :) Fruit's an odd beast.

Oh yeah. I forgot the question. You should add it when you siphon into the bottling bucket.

thanks for the good advice, however, i wussed out and just picked up the yeast it called for.

as far as the summer wheat, it called for honey to be added right before primary fermentation so i just added about an ounce of the cherry extract. guess i'll just give it a taste before bottling and see if i want anymore.

ONE more question, a friend of mine got a Rogue Dead Guy brew package, but he gave it to me to brew for him(i get half for my effort). It calls for a liquid yeast, but i'm a big fan of dry yeasts. it's technically considered a German Maibock(helles), but it didn't specify which dry yeast to use. I asked a guy at a beer store and he really didn't have an answer for me, but suggested a US-05. he didn't seem too confident so what do you guys think....

Pacman is a pretty clean yeast, go with the S-05.

Good call. Rogue uses its Pacman ale strain for nearly everything it brews, and since it's a "California" ale style of yeast, US-05 is probably the closest dry match available to a home brewer.

Just thought I'd clarify sagnew440's point.

Back