Yeast Starting Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Hey all im still pretty new (2 sucessful batches) and I am wondering how people start their yeast. My first batch was fermented at 67F while the yeast had an optimum fermentation range of 62-68. My second batch has an optimum fermentation range of 68-75F. I started it at 68F and when it seemed bit slow I moved it to about 72 and boom the activity increased significantly. I then read on the bottle that for "optimum fermentationput the fermentor at 70F until fermentation starts." Does everyone do this or??? My first batch had a higher final gravity so im wondering if this might help in a more complete fermentation. lol dang these yeast sure are anal.

SpecialEd said:
Hey all im still pretty new (2 sucessful batches) and I am wondering how people start their yeast. My first batch was fermented at 67F while the yeast had an optimum fermentation range of 62-68. My second batch has an optimum fermentation range of 68-75F. I started it at 68F and when it seemed bit slow I moved it to about 72 and boom the activity increased significantly. I then read on the bottle that for "optimum fermentationput the fermentor at 70F until fermentation starts." Does everyone do this or??? My first batch had a higher final gravity so im wondering if this might help in a more complete fermentation. lol dang these yeast sure are anal.

Well that is a an interesting one because it will depend entirely on the stain of yeast you are using and what you are brewing. For instance if you are brewing a Lager with a good quality yeast like saflager-23 than you can (and I have) pitch your yeast as low as 50F but if you are brewing an ale using say white labs ale yeast you can pitch at 85F without fearing those nasty esthers. If you re worried then stick religiously to the instructions but once you have done it / stuffed up a couple of times you will realize that brewing is quite forgivingn and you can, to a degree, speed up or draw out your fermentation rate depending on temp. Stress not.

Ok my bad should have clarified. If yeast has an optimum fermentation range of say 60-66F should I still put the fermenter above 70 to start? Im sre I wont destroy anything but just looking to get as complete of fermentation as is possible. Thanks all.

Back