yeast starters...newb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipNswirl

Reaction score
i have never made a yeast starter before because i have always used dry yeast until recently. I usually use LME but have some Dry that i think is a bit old, so i was thinking of using it for starters. I've been reading up on how to go about it but i have a question. if i use this DME to make 1 or 2 litre starter will it affect the taste of the beer at all? or is it just not enough volume to affect it?

thank in advance.

After you make the starter, let it settle in the fridge for a day. Then get rid of as much of that crappy starter beer as possible, and pitch the yeast when ready.

good tip, thanks! so i should be thinking about a starter at least 2 days before brew day?

2 days is a good rule of thumb. 24 hours will produce a decent starter for a smaller beer. If you plan on stepping up to brew a high OG beer, you'll want to allow even more time.

What vessel is best to use for a starter? Will the remaining yeast cake be easy (liquid) to pitch? I will brew a maibock coming up so perhaps allow 3-4 days of yeast growth?

Well, if you're making a maibock, a lager needs a much larger starter as a rule. Are you making it the traditional way, as a lager? I start my lager starters about a week before, build it up so I have tons of yeast and let it finish. After it's finished, I chill it until the wort on top is completely clear, and decant that spent wort, then put it out at room temperature until it's 45 degrees. Then I pitch that into 50 degree wort.

For ales, I just make a starter and pitch it when the wort is at 70 degrees or so.

thanks all! once my Oatmeal Stout is done in the primary I will try to harvest the yeast for the first time, and use it to make a starter for my next batch. i appreciate everyone's help on this site...it's an amazing resource for home brewers and everyone really quick to offer advice to make things smoother....or just calm my nerves a little bit! cheers :)

My maibock will be a lager and based off of Papazian's recipe in book. A plastic 2 liter bottle will suffice?

Back