Yeast Starters - Does Size Matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've made a whole two starters so far. The first one went fine, the second one not so much. Thing foamed over so bad that it gummed up the fan on my homemade stir plate and stopped the vortex while I was at work today.

I know - firmcap. I'll get some next time I head to the LHBS.

In the meantime, though, I don't understand why BeerSmith directs me to make starters of different volumes for each of my different recipes.

The first starter I made was with WLP004 for a RIS with an OG of 1.096, and the recipe called for a 1.75 L starter. This second one is with WLP006 for a Mocktoberfest ale with an OG 1.060, and BeerSmith said make a 2 L starter.

Why the difference, especially if I'm planning on letting it settle out so I can decant the wort and just pitch the yeast cake?

Going back to this starter - I put it on the stir plate yesterday afternoon @1445 and I know it was still going when I left for work this morning @0615, so that's 16-ish hours that I know it was going strong and I don't know when it stopped today. Is that enough time to propagate enough yeast for this beer? It's only a five gallon batch. Thing is when I got my fan going again it started foaming up big time.

Are you checking the date of the yeast pack in Beersmith? If it thinks your yeast is old, it assumes very low viability.

Are you checking the date of the yeast pack in Beersmith? If it thinks your yeast is old, it assumes very low viability.

Nope. Hadn't even thought of that.

I had the 21 day trial version, gonna purchase the full version next paycheck. I'll check that out.

Thanks!

Are you using the same source (beersmith) to check on the size of starters? The 1.060 ale should be fine with a 1 liter starter even if it's pretty old yeast. People just pitch the vial without a starter and it ferments fine on a lower gravity beer.

Are you using the same source (beersmith) to check on the size of starters? The 1.060 ale should be fine with a 1 liter starter even if it's pretty old yeast. People just pitch the vial without a starter and it ferments fine on a lower gravity beer.

Yep. I have a recipe for a Bavarian weizen, the RIS, a spiced pumpkin ale, an IPA, and the Mocktoberfest, and it gives me a different volume for each starter.

Back