Yeast starters and viabilities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luizffgarcia

Reaction score
Guys, i am currently creating one 1 liter, 1020 OG starter per week. Since i brew 1 gallon batches i brew every weekend. I always split the yeast from that 1 liter starter into two jars and use one for the brew and the other one for the next starter.

My understanding of starters is:

- If you create a 1 liter starter with too much yeast the end result will be less viable cells than the original;

- If you create a 1 liter starter with a just enough yeast for them to reproduce the end result will be more viable cells than the original;

If that is correct, is it right to assume that every time i create a 1 liter starter with 1020 OG i will get around the same number of viable cells?

Calculating exactly the number is too complicated for me being a new brewer, so i just want to figure out a good process and always use it.

Thanks

Take a look at this starter/pitch rate calculator. Might help you out. Starter worts are typically 1.037 to 1.040 to achieve a good growth rate.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

The thing is i dont whant them to grow too much, i started with 50billion cells and i brew 1 gallon batches.

I read that 1020 og is better so the yeast will not get too stressed. I just need to keep them healthy and have minimal growth...

As long as i get consistent results with this method and my assumptions are correct.

Back