Yeast starter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpinette2

Reaction score
Made a starter last night, the dme scorched in the bottom of the flask just a tiny bit....like very little. There are about 4 or 4 very small specs of this scorched dme floating in the starter....i’m assuming it shouldn’t be an issue? Or do i dump it and start a new one?

If your decanting I'd use since your gonna toss it anyways. I just tried the wort starter in a can that my HBS gave me to try . No boiling then bringing down the temp . It was so quick and painless . I will be using those for starters from now on .

I doubt that small amount will be detectable in a 5 gallon batch, even without cold crashing and decanting.

As @Jag75 said, if you're cold crashing and decanting, chances are whatever off-flavor it produced, most of it will be tossed out with the starter beer upon decanting. That should give you peace of mind.

Just on process, why not boil the starter wort in a stainless cooking pot (must be clean), that has a matching, well fitting lid? You can much easier stir it, preventing scorching.

When placed in a sink or dishwash tub with cold water it will chill much faster than in a flask, and you won't be afraid of your flask cracking on the stove due to uneven heating. When cooled to pitching temps, pour into your sanitized flask through a sanitized funnel. Then pitch the yeast. I've made 100s of starters that way, never had a flask failure or scorched wort.

Just make sure you use good sanitation during the process, and nothing can get in your starter wort by splashing etc. Wipe the (pouring) edge with Starsan or rubbing alcohol before pouring, etc.

Last edited:
I doubt that small amount will be detectable in a 5 gallon batch, even without cold crashing and decanting.

As @Jag75 said, if you're cold crashing and decanting, chances are whatever off-flavor it produced, most of it will be tossed out with the starter beer upon decanting. That should give you peace of mind.

Just on process, why not boil the starter wort in a stainless cooking pot (must be clean), that has a matching, well fitting lid? You can much easier stir it, preventing scorching.

When placed in a sink or dishwash tub with cold water it will chill much faster than in a flask, and you won't be afraid of your flask cracking on the stove due to uneven heating. When cooled to pitching temps, pour into your sanitized flask through a sanitized funnel. Then pitch the yeast. I've made 100s of starters that way, never had a flask failure or scorched wort.

Just make sure you use good sanitation during the process, and nothing can get in your starter wort by splashing etc. Wipe the (pouring) edge with Starsan or rubbing alcohol before pouring, etc.

If i’m being honest, it’s just being lazy! Less work(cleaning) to do in the flask. I actually didn’t think they would crack(Pyrex)? But i guess going forward i will suck it up!

I will decant it!

Thanks for the peace of mind!

For me the need to concentrate on the boil in the flask so that you don't create a DME volcano far outweighs the very small additional cleaning. With a pot you have a little more safety (headspace) of avoiding the volcano. And it is easy to lift the pot off the heat.

Cleaning = rinse the pot and funnel out and put them in the dishwasher. Less than 1 minute of effort.

If you get a flask volcano it will take you much longer to clean up the mess.

No dishwasher unfortunately!

Yeah, had an eruption before, not fun! Thought it be a good idea to put yeast nutrient in during the boil....Explosion!

Made a starter last night, the dme scorched in the bottom of the flask just a tiny bit....like very little. There are about 4 or 4 very small specs of this scorched dme floating in the starter....i’m assuming it shouldn’t be an issue? Or do i dump it and start a new one?

i burned a 5 gallon batch back when i did BIAB. turned out fine i wouldn't worry about a starter.

If you dont like the extra cleanup you should look into canned starter wort. All you do is pour it in your flask then pour distilled water in the can (you need 16oz of water added ) swirl it around and add to the flask and your done!

I know this isn't anwering the OP question, but see others referencing them. The new Proper Starter cans from Omega are awesome. Literally go from popping the can to a spinning stirplate, in about 3 minutes.

Plus they make for great order add-ons when trying to get free shipping on MoreBeer (or other online folks) sites.

I'm one of the guys that makes starters in the flask. I have some thoughts from this perspective.

First, I have nothing against canned starter wort. It's convenient. I get it.
Also nothing again boiling starter wort in a pot to save stress on your glassware. It's all good.

- I'm not normally one to pinch pennies, but it's the same price to make 27x 500mL vitality starters vs 4x Propper™ starters (MoreBeer™ prices). The 3lb DME lasts me over a year even though I also use it to maintain my yeast ranch™.
- I always use foam control in my starter. Zero risk of mess; no need for extra headspace.
- Boiling starter wort the flask is most sanitary method, at one of the most critical points in the process. A little peace of mind™.
- Fewer transfers means less to clean™.

How long are you boiling your starter that it scorches?
Add the DME while it's cold. Stirring or swirling should dissolve most of the DME pretty quickly.
You really don't need to heat it any more than bringing it to a boil. If it steams up your flask, it's good (190-200F).
Microwaving works too.

Use safety precautions around hot liquids and hot glassware. Don't learn the hard way. (It IS possible for "Pyrex" to shatter, especially while rapidly cooling and especially if it's not actually borosilicate glass -- not all "Pyrex" is borosilicate.)

If you have a pressure canner, you can do what I do.. Once a year I make some wort at 1.040(I do all grain, but supposedly lme/some would work too), boil and add yeast nutrients, then package into Mason jars, I do small jam jars and quart jars. Then I pressure can them and have starter for the year.
Takes a little time, but saves me a lot during the year.

I do both. I heat water in a pot, shut of the heat and stir in the DME. Once it’s mixed well, I transfer to a flask and boil. Ive done enough times on my stove that I can avoid boil overs. I have to put the flask 1/2 way over the flame and It will boil but not boil over. Once its maintaining a boil. I cover with aluminum foil and move it a little farther from the flame. It takes a little longer this way but I like it because ilI know its 100% clean until I open it to put the yeast in. Then shut off any fans, put sanitizer on your hands. Yeast package and knife. Also spray a little sanitizer in the air above the flask before you open it.

I do both. I heat water in a pot, shut of the heat and stir in the DME. Once it’s mixed well, I transfer to a flask and boil. Ive done enough times on my stove that I can avoid boil overs. I have to put the flask 1/2 way over the flame and It will boil but not boil over. Once its maintaining a boil. I cover with aluminum foil and move it a little farther from the flame. It takes a little longer this way but I like it because ilI know its 100% clean until I open it to put the yeast in. Then shut off any fans, put sanitizer on your hands. Yeast package and knife. Also spray a little sanitizer in the air above the flask before you open it.

Way way way too much work for me.. Boil in a pot. Cool. Pour into sanitized flask and stir bar. Add yeast. Set it on the stir plate....

Just used another starter in a can . Did the shaken not stirred starter . Just pitched last night . Should see some action soon.

Just used another starter in a can . Did the shaken not stirred starter . Just pitched last night . Should see some action soon.

I just used one of those for the first time this weekend. It could be a coincidence, but this beer took off faster than any time I made my own starter with DME.

Back