Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
So I'll preface this with I've made starters many times before...

Today I was going to make a starter for my brew day Saturday but I had no malt extract so I though oh I'll grab a handful or so of 2 row and make a mini mash then use that to make a starter... and that's exactly what I did. It wasn't til this evening that I realized I didn't really do a boil portion of what you would do a beer. So there lies my question should my starter survive and have sufficient edible sugars for the starter? I took a reading with my refractometer and it read 1.040...

the problem if you didn't boil is you'll probably have some lacto or other bugs in your starter that you don't want in your beer.

+1

No boil means the starter wort wasn't sanitized. Something, or multiple somethings, will ferment that starter out, but it is almost certainly contaminated with something other than your chosen strain of yeast. My advice would be to cut your losses and make a new starter with fresh yeast.

Back