Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakwi

Reaction score
So I'm going to do my first AG batch tomorrow. I made a yeast starter yesterday, first time on that too. Seemed pretty straight forward. I know I read on several tutorials that I should shake the starter periodically to reoxygenate it. So this morning I grab the jar, clamp down on the aluminium foil and give it a good shake. The problem is it basically exploded like it was a recently opened coke! I had yeast starter all over! I feel like I got pranked! I only lost about 200ml. So are you not supposed to shake it that way? It seems like it is OK, still bubbling and a nice cake is developing on the bottom. I was about 12 hours in at that point.

Shaking prior to pitching is fine/good as it aerated the wort, but once fermentation has started I'd describe the appropriate action more as "swirling". During fermentation, CO2 goes into solution and when you shake it, all that CO2 comes out of solution and you've got a volcano. Swirling the starter periodically during primary will achieve the intended effects of keeping the yeast in full suspension and adding a little dose of oxygen without causing a "wortcano".

Down the road you can pick up a stir plate and you won't have to worry about this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well there you go. I'll try swirling next time, or maybe I'll have a stirplate by then. Thanks for the help!

Went pretty well. I brewed a simple brown ale.
10lbs of 2row,
.75lbs of 60l,
.5lbs of 80l,
.25lbs of chocolate 350srm,
and .125lbs of crisp black malt 550l

Mashed at 154 for 60 min. Then another 20 or so since I didn't have the sparge water quite ready. Vorlaufed for the 20 min, but it was clear in the first 5.

8gal before boil. 5.5 after. 105min boil. As I had to much volume.

I almost hit my OG. It was supposed to be 1.061. Mine was 1.059.

Hopefully it turns out well.

1401575147029.jpg

Back