Yeast Starter with Corn Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
So I have a little problem. Brewing on thursday and wanted to get a nice heavy starter ready but realized im fresh out of malt extract but more corn sugar then I will ever know what to do with. Is there a commandment written somewhere that says not to use corn sugar for a starter? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you dont want the yeast to become "lazy" by just exposing them to the simple sugars of the corn sugar. The yeast im using is WLP051 California V Ale Yeast if that makes a diference. Thanks in advance.

Joe

You got it right. Corn sugar would not be the best thing for the yeast. What are you making? How high is the OG?

Making a Colombus IPA so I'm guessing the OG will be fairly high. 1.065-1.070 ish?
So if I can hold out and get some ME for tomm will a 32 hour starter be sufficient? Thanks for the prompt reply.

If you're brewing on Thursday, why not borrow some malt from the brew to make the starter. You'll add it back again in a couple of days so you won't lose anything.

-a.

RiversC174 said:
Making a Colombus IPA so I'm guessing the OG will be fairly high. 1.065-1.070 ish?
So if I can hold out and get some ME for tomm will a 32 hour starter be sufficient? Thanks for the prompt reply.
:off:
Im drinking an ale i used columbus for bittering and its sooo good! Its probably 50-55 ibus's and its bitter but not overpowering like chinook can be. an all columbus ale/ipa sounds like a good idea!

A splendid idea ajf, had I been prepared. But I ordered the yeast this weekend so it would arrive today and I could make my starter then go out tomm after work and get the ingredients at my LHBS. A lesson well learned. And Bjorn, I share your appreciation of the Columbus hops, tops in my book. Should I risk just pitching the White Labs tube or wait to make a starter?

I wouldnt use corn sugar. Just pitch the vial, its equal to a 1-2 pint starter anyway. Just be sure to aerate really well, and youll be alright.
you should buy a bunch of dry yeast packets for emergencies. get 2 of the safale 04 (to make any english type ales/bitters,ipa's), and 2 of the us56 (for any american ales/porters/stouts/ipa's).

One of the purposes of making a starter is to grow more yeast: the main purpose in my opinion. Making a starter with corn sugar is better than not making a starter. There will still be several generations of yeast growth before fermentation starts. 24 hours gives you 12 doublings, 4000 times as many yeast cells. Maybe the quality is lower, but you make it up in volume.

David I rationalized my situation much as you did, but how much corn sugar would I use, a comparable amount to DME? For 800 mL starter like 1/3 cup?

Bjorn Borg said:
:off:
Im drinking an ale i used columbus for bittering and its sooo good! Its probably 50-55 ibus's and its bitter but not overpowering like chinook can be. an all columbus ale/ipa sounds like a good idea!

I did just that. Check the sig. For a high AA hop, it is very mellow. I like it very much. Mine is a pale ale with a total of about 30 IBU with hops at 60, 30, 15, 5 min and dry hopped.

Back