Yeast Starter w Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I will be using a stir plate for the first time for my starter

Beersmith is telling me a 0.75 L starter with Stir Plate will give me 185 billion cells and my recipe requires 175 billion (my starter would be 1.040 SG...and I am assuming beersmith uses 1.040 in the calculation since that is what an article by Beersmith recommends for starter OG).

I used to always do 1 litre increments for starter without stir plate .....if I do a 1 litre with stir plate beersmith says that I will get 230 billion cells. Will that be to many cells.....causing too quick of a fermentation?.... or should I just go with the 0.75L...or do a 1 litre but with a lower SG (i.e same amount of DME as for the 0.75 L but just diluted to 1 litre)

Or am I being to exact and anal retentive!? :drunk:

Just do the 1 liter starter. It take a lot of yeast to over pitch. Or you can do a 1.5 liter starter and save some of the extra yeast in a sanitized mason jar for another brew.

Back