Yeast starter - too much trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiav8or

Reaction score
I harvested the yeast from a Berliner Weiss I brewed a few weeks ago (WPL 630). I’m going to use it to ferment a cider kit I’ve got.

See pics. Did I get too much trub in the starter? I shook up most of what you see in the picture.

If yes, recommendations?

Thanks
2A25731A-D35D-4CE7-ABF0-B34109893CB9.jpeg
1190D327-E3D2-41B3-91F1-DE306BE16968.jpeg

I wouldn't use yeast left over from fermenting a sour beer a second time because it was stressed by the low pH of your Berliner, but that's just my opinion.

As far as trub in the starter, I don't think that's an issue

been harvesting my yeast from my starters now, much easier then trying to harvest/rinse it after fermentation.
but like posted by TheMadKing I wouldnt use sour beer yeast after fermentation due to the stress.

Really? I thought any yeast could be brought back to vitality.
In some ways that is true even a 100 year old yeast dregs from shipwreck bottle of ale can be revitalized, but will it produce good beer? Well, it has been done, but not after many trials and much work.
when yeast is stressed you can think of it as going into survival mode. It doesn’t do everything that it used to, it is just doing enough to survive.
If you have the time you may after a few starters get this yeast back into condition.
As I read this, I’m going to keep in mind for my first Berliner to use a saved yeast or and inexpensive one, because I had not thought of this aspect of sour beers.

Ok I listed the wrong yeast (but close). I used WLP 630. WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend | White Labs

Same issue I’m guessing? Still too stressed?

So it’s a bad idea to ever try to harvest weizen yeast? Not impossible but not a good idea?

So, that's a blend of yeast and lactobacillus. A problem with trying to reuse that kind of blend is that the ratios of the two microbes is unlikely to remain the same. But it could still make good beer.

Latest posts

Back