Yeast Starter Temperature 80+ WLP090

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCraftBeer

Reaction score
So I have been scouring the Internet for the answer to this and can't seem to find a direct answer.

I prepared a 1.5L starter with WLP090 and pitched the yeast when I got it as cool as I could. Most of us don't have AC down here in San Diego cause it normally doesn't get very hot. It's 82 in my place right now. Is that too hot for a starter? Or just this yeast? I have a beer fermenting in the chamber at 67. Should I put it in there? I know starters are suppose to be warm... But is that to warm?

Any help would be appreciated.

Starters can be up to 85 as long as you decant the starter beer. There will be significant off flavors in the starter, but the yeast won't have mutated more than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks. I get so worried about all the variables I can't control. With the Super Yeast ideal temp range 65-68 I didn't know if the starter needed to be closer to that. This morning the starter is clearly active so I am sure there are plenty of yeast just hopefully not mutated to the point of ruining the batch.

Back