Yeast starter step up....?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Daves1186

Reaction score
Hey guys, so i've made quite a few successful yeast starters for my previous brews but this recipe I plan on making Saturday has a much higher o.g than what I've made before and I'm slightly confused on how I should go about stepping up a yeast starter. I plan on going to the LHBS tomorrow/today to pick up a vial of wlp001 and then begin my starter. I have a 1liter flask,2 liter flask and a stir plate. What's the best way for me to grow an adequate starter for a
6 gallon batch of 1.107 wort? I was thinking of making a 2liter 1.040 starter, setting that on the stir plate, then after 24 hours I planned on moving it to the refrigerator for 24 hours so I could decant the wort off the yeast cake and finally I planned on making another 2 liter 1.040 starter on top of that yeast cake. Is that my best option or am I off here?

jaydog2314

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like you are on the right track. I use http://www.yeastcalculator.com/ and I love it. According that site for 1.107 and 6 gallons you'll need 430 billions yeast cells. You'll need to the production date on the yeast to determine how big of a 2nd step though. For example super fresh packaged yeast from today with a 2L stir plate starter would yield 306 billion and then 1.1L would get you to about 436 billion.

flars

Reaction score
You may need a larger container for your 2 liter starter than the 2 liter flask. Some yeasts form a heavy krausen, even on a stir plate. Any container that has a flattish bottom, for holding the stir bar from being thrown, will work.
This is what I have been using for starters.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/new-yeast-starter-container-61619.html

The yeast in the starter will be less stressed if the growth rate is above 1.0.

OP
D

Daves1186

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replies I'm going to go to the LHBS soon and grab some yeast, ill report back on the age when I get home.
@flars- I've been using fermcap s in my starters so I could make a 2 liter starter in my 2 liter flask and it seems to be working pretty good.

OP
D

Daves1186

Reaction score
Alright guys so I went to LHBS and they didn't have anything close to what I was looking for so I had to order yeast online. I just got the package and pitched the yeast! Since I plan on brewing tomorrow I took flars recommendation and found a bigger container to make a 3.5L 1.038 starter which should be more than adequate since the yeast was packaged on August 18th. I had a 1 gallon growler laying around and it seems to be working just fine, nice vortex and it's holding the stir bar in place just fine.

Cheers!

flars

Reaction score
Alright guys so I went to LHBS and they didn't have anything close to what I was looking for so I had to order yeast online. I just got the package and pitched the yeast! Since I plan on brewing tomorrow I took flars recommendation and found a bigger container to make a 3.5L 1.038 starter which should be more than adequate since the yeast was packaged on August 18th. I had a 1 gallon growler laying around and it seems to be working just fine, nice vortex and it's holding the stir bar in place just fine.

Cheers!
Great!