Yeast starter smells..slightly tangy? Panic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knightshade

<Insert Snarky Comment Here>
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I built my first yeast starter a couple months ago (WLP066). 2100ml + 210g of Light DME. Poured off 800ml(ish) and left remaining 1200(ish) for wort.

5 days ago, took that previous 800, decanted the extra and built another yeast starter. Repeat of above.

I’ve got 1200ish sitting in flask for tomorrows brew. I just took 800, decanted, swirled and out into a smaller mason jar to save some space in fridge.

Which left me with the 800ml mason jar to clean. It smelled…slightly tangy, maybe a slight zing. Not anywhere near sourdough levels, but had that kind of vibe to it.

Do I proceed pitching into the wort tomorrow (NEIPA) or am I risking a bad batch and need to go buy yeast today? (Presumably dry due to lack of time between now and tomorrow morning.)

I have made plenty of starters that smell a bit tangy. Just made one for LF about a month ago, but I don't exactly remember the smell. As long it doesn't smell sour, I'd say you're fine.

I did not...wasn't sure you could do that? Would this be tasting the decant, ya? I've actually got in the in the flask in the FC right now, waiting for the wort to get to pitching temp, so equalizing both.
Yes, pour off a small amount and taste it, if it is sour/acidic/tart then you‘ll know for sure. Tiny taste won’t hurt, you can even spit it out if you choose.

Yes, pour off a small amount and taste it, if it is sour/acidic/tart then you‘ll know for sure. Tiny taste won’t hurt, you can even spit it out if you choose.

Tastes like a watered down and really boring brown ale...so I guess I'm in the clear. Thanks!!!!

I had the same issue about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but my starter was tangy. It went into the carboy where all of the random yeast and bacteria dregs go along with any extra beer, cider, or wort that doesn't fit in its container. I lovingly call it "Sh*t Show." Considering that it has everything from cider to pale ale to stout in the same 6G carboy, it's remarkably good.

But I always have a pack of S-05 in the cooler just in case.

Back