Yeast starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorcalBrew

Reaction score
New brewer doing a starter. I ordered a WLP0001 California Ale last week from MoreBeer and it sat with UPS over the weekend unchilled. 5 days total with UPS. I did a starter last night about 8pm. The recipe was for a 1L starter - 1cup DME, pinch of nutrient. I boiled for 15 minutes and chilled to pitching temp using an icebath. I had the yeast out of the fridge for awhile to let it warm up. Here is what it looks like at 13 hours on the stir plate. Does this look right, there is no krausen to speak of. It has about the same look as when it started maybe a little more chocolate milk like. There is a tiny ring of something. Should I kill the motor and see if it bubbles a little around the edges? I don't have a stopper that will fit the flask so I can't put an airlock on it.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Took a hydrometer reading 1.042. I didn't take an OG but I'd bet it's not much different from that. Should I dump this and go to the LHBS and buy more yeast?

img2998kd7.jpg

You may not get any activity with your starter, but that doesn't mean it isn't doing what it should. I made a starter with Wyeast American ale yeast recently, which I believe is the same yeast strain as WLP001, and I had no activity. I pitched 48 hrs. after making the starter and I had vigorous fermentation within 12 hrs. I'll bet your starter is fine.

That stir plate will keep it from fermenting, and keep it in a growth stage instead. I wouldn't worry too much about it, and foil on the starter flask is just fine.

I'm having similar problems, I don't have a stir plate and i made a starter with a qt of water and cup of DME with yeast booster. Pitched the wet yeast after it got to room temp and it is now 6 hours in and zero krausen or bubbling of airlock. I'm storing it in my 6.5 gal carboy or oxidation is not a problem. I'm shaking it every 3-4 hours. Mmmm... I'll wait it out but I'm getting worried.

If it sat out in 90+ degree heat for 5 days, most of the yeast may well be dead, so it'll take the survivors longer to go through the early stages of metabolism and propagation prior to fermenting. My last two yeasts were shipped from Texas to Florida in really high temperatures, and it took about 36-48 hours to see any sort of activity, and it took them another few days to settle down. Still, the final beers were fantastic, so I would give it some more time and not worry. Having a backup is always a good idea though, just in case.

I turned off the stir plate yesterday after posting and left for the LHBS to pick up some back up yeast just in case. When I got back there was a pretty nice yeast cake on the bottom that had settled out. It was way more volume than what is in a vial so I figured why not pitch it and I can use the extra yeast if need be. So I brewed and this a.m. I have nice krausen and a busy airlock on my pale ale, <12 hours for fermentation to start.:rockin:

My only mistake.....stir bar ended up in the Carboy:eek:

Thanks for all the help.

Back