Yeast starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding yeast starters
1 I am making a few starters for Wyeast london Ale 1968
So I bought this Crosby & Baker Yeast nutient and I want to add it to my 2 liters of 1.038 starter made from DME if I add it while the starter wort is at about 120 F will it kill the nutrienrts. I am waiting for the wort to cool to 60 F before I pitch the yeast but already added the nutrient not thinking beforehand if the heat would destroy the nutrients Also I have no idea what this brand of nutrient contains as there is nothing on the label as far as contents.
2 The DME I used was probably 10 years old tastes fine so I'm not really worried boout using it it kinda turned intoa solid chunk of extract but I boiled it for 40 mins and all seems OK. Should I be worried about using 10 year old extract to make my starter?

I would be a lot more worried about the Clinton-Administration DME than the yeast nutrient. The nutrients contain no live elements and are not affected by heat. Most people add their nutrient 10 minutes before flameout (or when you add your DME when brewing up a starter).

You will know in a few days how your DME is going, but I think it will probably be fine as well. It may have some funky, stale flavors, but you are just making a starter. I am sure the yeast will eat it up just fine.

sorry to hijack- but my question fits well under this thread.

Is it okay to chill a starter that is still actively fermenting? In order to get the yeasties to drop out so I can decant?

Back