Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
I have been doing yeast starters in a flask on a stir plate for the last 6 batches and have had good success. I always enjoy watching the process. This last starter was 2000ml DME @ 1.036, a little yeast nutrient and 1 vile of WL English Ale yeast. After the first 24 hours or so, there were large white chunks that started to develope and as the wort recirculated. I have never seen that before. So is that yeast that has flocculated out, or is that just protiens forming trub? I took it off stir plate and put in fridge for a Saturday Brew, I'm sure it's fine, I just don't know what the chunks are all about.

Eastside

How does it smell? If it smells absolutely horrifying I would consider trying over. If it smells like beer its probably just yeast; do you have any pics?

:)

Had the same thing happen to me with a smack pack of London ESB....got all chunky. I did a search and after a few tries found some old threads where this had happned to other people.
The general concensus was high flocculation of the yeast and not to worry about it.

Wyeast 1968, the ESB ale yeast is extremely flocculant, looks like cheese curds rather than cloudy. If that is White Labs version of 1968, WLP002, then the chunks are yeast.

Thanks for all the input, it smells just fine. It sounds like this is what I should expect with this yeast. I wil just RDWHAHB.

Eastside

Back