Yeast Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
Not sue if this is the right area for this question but here goes. Juts moved to AG and see alot of talk about yeast starters. Brewed my 3rd AG batch last night (Porter), and it pitched it on a yeast cake from my 2nd AG batch. (First time I have ever done this, got the info off this forum thanks to all for your knowledge. As of this morning air lock is a bubbling :)! So when mashing last night I end up with my 6 gal of wort. Had more wort then 6 gal so kept draining off with still a very good gravity.

So here is my question - I kept the extra wort and stuck it in the fridge it has not been boiled yet, just straight from the mlt. Can I boil some of this wort up on the stove, cool it, and pitch it with some yeast to make a starter?

How long will it last in the fridge, or does time matter since it will be boiled prior to use?

I would boil it and then put it in the fridge. You want it sterile going into the fridge so as to prevent things growing in there where if they do boiling again may kill the things but not their products...You can use it for making a starter or better yet to prime the beer for bottling/kegging Old School German style.

I thought about boiling prior to storing, but my concern was sanitation. Figured if I store then boil, then pitch less chance of problems. I am just guessing as I have never even done a starter yet. Just had a hard time pouring good wort down the drain.

I thought about boiling prior to storing, but my concern was sanitation. Figured if I store then boil, then pitch less chance of problems. I am just guessing as I have never even done a starter yet. Just had a hard time pouring good wort down the drain.

I think it's better to boil first then throw it in a sanitized bottle where it will stay sterile. If you store it without boiling you could be growing some nasties in there and whatever off flavor they produce will stay even after boiling. You could always boil it again later too.

Thanks for the info. So I will boil now and restore in a clean glass bottle. The when I am ready to make the starter, just remove from fridge, warm to room tem, and add to the yeast with an air lock? Let get going overnight then pitch into my next batch?

Thanks for the info. So I will boil now and restore in a clean glass bottle. The when I am ready to make the starter, just remove from fridge, warm to room tem, and add to the yeast with an air lock? Let get going overnight then pitch into my next batch?

That'll work...Just aerate it also.

Back