Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpinette2

Reaction score
First time using a stir plate.

Making my 5th batch tomorrow, Pumpkin Ale.

I’ve made a starter the previous 3 batches, using foil as the stopper and just swirling it every time i walked by.

Using a foam stopper and stir plate for first time. Question is....I made the starter yesterday night, For the first time i got a very large krausen, it actually went to the top and touched the very bottom of the foam stopper. Now I’m worried about infection? Should I take of stir plate and put into the fridge? I was planning to just let it go until I start brewing tomorrow(11am) and let it settle to pitch.

Any information is appreciated.

here is. pic
IMG_1533080952.504903.jpg

Did you sanitize the foam stopper? If you sanitized the foam stopper, I would not be worried about infection. It’s like using the foil. When you use the foil, you sanitize it. I had one blow out on me, wyeast 1318. The next morning, the foil was tilted and krausen remnants all down the sides of the flask. I still used it with no problem.

Yeah, I sanitized everything. Thanks for the info.

Any reason I can’t just leave it on the stir plate until tomorrow?

I've left a few starters on the plate overnight and pitched the whole thing the next day with good results although I do 1 liter starters that I step up once or twice depending on the volume I'm brewing

I would imagine you'll be ok leaving it on the plate since you sanitized the stopper

How long has the starter been going? If 24+ hours, I would fridge it to drop the yeast out and let them rest. And then when you mash take out of fridge. Right before pitch, decant and pitch.

If you go too long on the starter, they don’t reproduce anymore and you start fermenting the starter.

I agree with what WBB said above. If it's been going for 24 hours or more, put it in the fridge so it's settled out by time you brew. When it's been sitting in the fridge overnight, the yeast will be packed on the bottom, and pouring the beer off the top will be pretty easy. Let the yeast warm up to room temp while you brew, then just before pouring into the fermenter, swirl it around and get the yeast mixed with the remaining beer and pour it in. If you don't swirl it around first, the yeast will likely be caked to the bottom and doesn't want to pour easily.

Edit: don't forget to secure your stir bar with a magnet..

Edit: don't forget to secure your stir bar with a magnet..

Good advice. I've super glued a small strong magnet to my starter flasks. I put it toward the top where the glass is still on an angle right before it goes to the verticle position Catches the stirbar every time.

Enjoy the pumpkin ale - good timing on your brew day. By the time the brew is really maturing in the bottle/keg the leaves will just start to lose a tad bit of color. Ideal for a pumpkin ale!

Back