Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
Need some help on my yeast starters. I currently use 2 1/2 cups of DME per 2500 ML water to make my starter. Will that amount of DME put me in the correct gravity range for a starter? I have been using this quantity for ever don't remember where I got this number for this quantity of water. I have been having fermentation issues latey so I am trying to rule out everything.

Thanks for the help! :mug:

You really should consider weighing your DME if you want to get accurate gravity for your starter. 100 grams with 1 Liter of water will give you a 1.040 gravity, which is about where you want it. Check out yeastcalc.com for help with this.

Yeah, you should weigh it out for best accuracy, like slarkin712 said 100g/l. In your case: 250 grams in your vessel then top off with water to 2500ml level.

your starter should have about 1/2 cup of DME per liter of water (a tiny bit more usually). it isn't the end of the world to measure it by volume.

I always forget how much to use and I do all different sizes, so I've started using BeerSmith to calculate how much DME to use. Plus it's fun to see you're making a 0.17 gallon extract batch. :p

Ok I weighed my dme. I was using 2 1/2 cups per 2500 ML of water. After weighing I find I only need about 1 & 2/3 cups DME to 2500 ML water. So im saving myself DME. Guess my starters were all to strong up till now. What kind of effect do you think that had on my yeast?

Back