Yeast starter question...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brdrumz

Reaction score
I'm about to start my very first batch of brew this weekend. (actually, two batches at once!) I finally have all my brewkit gear and I'm ready to go.

I have a package of Wyeast 1056 American Ale (for T-Can & Bearcat's Wheaten Beatdown from Northern Brewer).

Do I just add a little of the package or say, 1/2 the package to start the STARTER or do I add the entire package of yeast? I'm not sure if you add it all...or add half and save half in the original packaging to pitch as well?
*I'm planning on smacking the pack on Weds. night - making the starter on Thursday night.....pitching it on Saturday mid/late day. (does that timing sound about right?) Or should I hold the starter off till Friday evening?

Also, for my second batch - I have Danstar Windsor Dry Yeast for (Caribou Slobber Brown Ale) is the typical package of dry yeast included with a kit, the right amount of yeast for a 5 gallon batch? I've seen some folks say they pitch (2) packages of yeast to assure proper fermentation. (I'd assume you'd only need more yeast if it's a higher gravity/stronger abv% beer)

Don't want to over/under my first two batches.
I'm sure I'm just worrying too much and it'll all be fine!
I'M DAMN EXCITED!!! - :D

Use all the smack pack in the starter

A pack of dry Nottingham will be the correct amount for the beer you plan to brew.

Smack it and just use the whole thing in the starter - you don't have to wait for it ti expand. The Smack Packs are like mini starters - so smack and pour into your starter - perhaps Thursday night for a Saturday pitching.

The Smack Packs are like mini starters

Well, not really. The purpose of a starter is to increase cell count. The purpose of a smack pack is to assure viability. There's so little "food" in the smack pack that you get virtually no increase in cell count.

Well, not really. The purpose of a starter is to increase cell count. The purpose of a smack pack is to assure viability. There's so little "food" in the smack pack that you get virtually no increase in cell count.

this^.
generally to get a good growth from a starter, you want to let it ferment out, cold crash and decant most of the starter beer, swirl the yeast up into suspension and pitch the slurry. you can pitch the whole starter at high krausen as well, but i prefer the stated method

this^.
generally to get a good growth from a starter, you want to let it ferment out, cold crash and decant most of the starter beer, swirl the yeast up into suspension and pitch the slurry. you can pitch the whole starter at high krausen as well, but i prefer the stated method

THIS ^^^^ back atcha!

Back