Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about pitching Yeast Starters, calculating yeast pitching rates etc.

Sounds like a great idea for a high gravity beer, or larger than a 6gal batch.

However, I typically brew a standard 5gal batch and pitch White Labs vials. Would I see much benefit from making a starter?

Yes! Much shorter lag times, proofing yeast, proper pitching rates, cleaner beer....the list goes on. It's really the proper process to use regardless of batch size IMO.

I used to not bother. Now I do, so that I can harvest the yeast for my frozen bank. I find that fermentation always happens a lot quicker when I use a starter and also you can know for sure that the yeast is alive before pitching.

I have used dry yeast, Activator Wyeast smack packs, and White Labs vials all pitched directly, and have never had a better, faster and more complete fermentation than when using a starter. Starters take more work and a few more pieces of equipment (or not - depends on how easy you want it to be), but I think it's well worth the extra effort. I think most of us here would agree that anything that almost always improves the quality of your finished product is well worth it!

Back