Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pearlbeer

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about pitching Yeast Starters, calculating yeast pitching rates etc.

Sounds like a great idea for a high gravity beer, or larger than a 6gal batch.

However, I typically brew a standard 5gal batch and pitch White Labs vials. Would I see much benefit from making a starter?

Reelale

Reaction score
Yes! Much shorter lag times, proofing yeast, proper pitching rates, cleaner beer....the list goes on. It's really the proper process to use regardless of batch size IMO.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
I used to not bother. Now I do, so that I can harvest the yeast for my frozen bank. I find that fermentation always happens a lot quicker when I use a starter and also you can know for sure that the yeast is alive before pitching.

BeerBalls

Reaction score
I have used dry yeast, Activator Wyeast smack packs, and White Labs vials all pitched directly, and have never had a better, faster and more complete fermentation than when using a starter. Starters take more work and a few more pieces of equipment (or not - depends on how easy you want it to be), but I think it's well worth the extra effort. I think most of us here would agree that anything that almost always improves the quality of your finished product is well worth it!