Yeast Starter Question and Travel

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

alby44

Reaction score
May come off as a strange question, but will a yeast starter be ok during travel. I was planning on brewing this Sunday after weekend travel and am curious if my yeasties are this resilient?

Was planning on making a yeast starter, via a stir plate, at my in-laws (about 3-4 hours away) on Saturday, then travel home to brew beer on Sunday.

Is this doable and advisable to do the starter on Saturday, then pitch/brew on Sunday with travel in between? Am I completely overthinking this and should I instead wait until I get home and make the starter from there?

This will be my 1st starter and I want to make sure I'm allowing enough time for the magic to happen:rockin:

smccarter

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but I begin my starters on brew day.

I bring my wort to a boil for 10 minutes, draw about 400 ml from the brew kettle, and cool that sample. Once it's cool, I add yeast and start the stir plate. I pitch the next day.

Makes it a much simpler process for me. I live in Florida and started doing this last summer. I use an emerssion chiller. My tap water is at around 74 degrees, so I don't cool all the way to 65 before moving the wort to my carboy. I move the carboy to my fermentation chamber which is at around 60 degrees and let the wort finish cooling over night.

This might work for your scenario. You may not be pulling directly from your brew kettle, but once you get home, you can get your starter going and just pitch the next day.

webby45wr

Reaction score
I think it would be fine, but I've sometimes seen better success from letting my starter go two days.

Can you start it Friday before you head the in-laws and then let it go until you get back Sunday? That would be how I would do it.

WoodlandBrew

Reaction score
I would start it before leaving for the weekend. You'll have a higher cell count that way.

Nuggethead

Reaction score
Start it before you leave and let it stir until you get home. Much better cell count as stated above.