Yeast Starter not starting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanFrank211

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter last night and there is no apparent signs of fermentation. I wonder if i had a bad batch of yeast or that this batch just takes longer to start.

I used Wyeast Irish ale yeast smack pack. I let it sit for 3 hours and it didn't look like it puffed out, but the directions on the back of the package said this didn't matter. My starter consists of 1 cup light DME and 1 1/2 quarts water boiled for 10 minutes. I let it cool to room temp then pitched in around 9:00 last night.

Should i use this starter? or go back to the home brew store and get another smack pack and forget about a starter?

PS: The manufactured date on the yeast was march of 2009, so it should still be good.

You could, but expect it to take a while to start. If the starter hasn't started in the 12 or so hours its been, then your fermentation may not start for that long either. Pitch it and let it sit for a couple days, it should be fine.

Give it 48 hrs. It should change color when the yeast has grown. This growth can be very short and very active, especially when using a stir plate, so we aware that it might complete at night.

The change of color and possibly a krausen ring above the water lines are indications that it's done. If you don't see either of these within 48 hours, I would throw another smack pack in there. Let it bloat: this is one of the nicest features of the Wyeast packs in that you can verify viability before you open the pack.

My starter consists of 1 cup light DME and 1 1/2 quarts water boiled for 10 minutes.
Two things stand out here. Your ratio of water to DME will give you about a 1.030 gravity. I shoot for 1.040. The other thing is that you don't mention that you are using a stir plate or periodically swirling your starter. If not, that could be your problem. The yeast will grow better if exposed to air and kept in suspension.

One more thing, did you use a yeast nutrient?

I used 1 cup of DME because that's all i had. i don't have a stir plate, i just shake up the wort before i pitch the yeast.

I'm going ahead and using the starter anyways. I'm Gonna RDWAHAHB. Its starting to double a little now anyways. I'm sparging right now. I'll let you know how it comes out. Its gonna be a Guinness clone. Can't wait.

I have abused yeast all sorts of ways. Definitely, go for it. You might consider picking up several dry yeast packets and putting them away for just-in-case scenarios.

Right now, I am re-animating a frozen sample of yeast (in 2L starter, on stirplate). It is just starting to show some activity after almost 24 hrs. Those little yeasties never let me down.

26 hours after pitching yeast, and it looks fine. The wort is happily bubbling away.

I will from now on make my starters a day or two earlier allow the yeasts to increase their numbers before pitching in the wort. I have with good results pitched yeast right from the smack pack itself with no starter.

Back