Yeast Starter Necessary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNut24

Reaction score
I preparing to brew last weekend and started my Wyeast smack pack. Found out later I couldn't brew so I put the smacked but unopened yeast back into the refridgerator. I'm going to brew on Sunday now and need to know if I need to do anything special to prepare the yeast. I was considering a starter (I'm brewing a 1.065 OG Porter) but don't have any extra DME around. Any thoughts on just letting it sit out until Sunday and direct pitching or would it really be in my best interest to make a starter (and make the 45 minute one way trip to pick up additional DME). Thanks.

Don

You'll be fine. Your yeast will definitely be stressed, but it isn't worth a special trip in my opinion. Just wash your yeast after this brew and you will have plenty for next time. ;)

do you have lme or dme for the recipe or is it all grain? if yes then calculate the 1L starter into the recipe.

use a lb or so of grain to make a starter if you are doing all grain. I would make a starter, your beer and taste buds will thank you!

Latest posts

Back