Yeast starter might not of worked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucks-04

Reaction score
So i made two seperate yeast starters. One of them when I shake it it foams. The other one very little to none, is this OK?

You should see some activity in the starter. There should be some foam or something on the yeast. You may want to add more yeast to the lesser active yeast starter or add some DME to the starter that is "slow"

I would also check to make sure that the stopper is sealed tightly and that the airlock is seated properly in the stopper. Good to make sure you don't have any co2 escaping besides from the airlock.

It is also possible, depending upon the gravity of the starter, that the yeast fermented all the wort before you looked at it.

I wouldn't say that's an accurate way to judge a starter. I look for activity in the first few days like (CO2) bubbles, and foam or krausen. Before you brew let it sit in the fridge overnight. You should see a nice layer of white to off-white yeast covering the bottom of your flask. Pour off 95% of the spent wort from the flask after it comes to room temperature and swirl the remainder into a slurry and pitch into your new brew.

Back