Yeast Starter making noob needs nutrient assistance!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I am making my first yeast starter from a liquid pack tonight, have my water and DME ready (1.5 L water and 144 g DME). According to Palmer I should add a 1/4 tsp of nutrient, and here is where I am confused. I know Nutrient and energizer are 2 different things, but I have 1 bottle from LD Carlson labeled "YEAST ENERGIZER (Nutrient Booster)", another from Northern Brewer called "Nutriferm Energy", and lastly "Wyeast Wine Nutrient Blend". Which one should I add and how much?

Thanks!

How big of a beer are you going to be brewing? I've never added nutrients to a starter , unless its mead.

How big of a beer are you going to be brewing? I've never added nutrients to a starter , unless its mead.
I was just going by what Palmer wrote. I just made the starter without nutrient and pitched. Nutrients were totally not needed, the krausen almost came out of the bottle!

Back