Yeast starter looks kind of strange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derp

Reaction score
I made a starter last night and when I woke up this morning it looked different than the other 4 or 5 I've made in the past. I'm used to seeing a somewhat homogeneous-looking, cream-colored flask of yeasty goodness whirling away on the stir plate (and that's what it looked like for the first couple of hours after I made it) but this morning I saw a somewhat clear, beer-ish liquid with clumps of stuff whirling about. I used Wyeast 1968 (London ESB Ale) and didn't bother smacking it because I was in a hurry, so I suppose there could be a problem with the yeast. I guess I'll still pitch it but I'm a little worried.

The yeast was a little clumpy when I pitched it into the flask. I didn't recall seeing that before but I figured it had something to do with not smacking the pack.

Am I worrying for nothing?

That sounds usual. Some of those British yeasts are a little different.

I made a starter with a Whitbread 1099 recently and it took a good 2 days for anything to happen with the starter.

If it's like the White labs 002, this is normal. Very flocculant stuff. It should be fine ( mine with the 002 worked perfectly).

Back