Yeast Starter - Keep in Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacrifice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a 1 liter starter (1 liter water with 4 ounces light DME, which is the recipe I always use) for my Trappist Ale yeast on Friday night for a brew I had planned for yesterday (Sunday). No apparent or continual activity was apparent Fri, Sat, or Sunday. So today I boiled some Go-Ferm and added it to my starter and it is starting to show some good activity.

The problem is that I really do not want to brew until next Saturday, 6 days from now. So, should I put the starter in the fridge tomorrow evening if it has progressed sufficiently, or leave it outside in a cooler place (~65 degrees) until Saturday? :confused:

I did a 1 liter starter (1 liter water with 4 ounces light DME, which is the recipe I always use) for my Trappist Ale yeast on Friday night for a brew I had planned for yesterday (Sunday). No apparent or continual activity was apparent Fri, Sat, or Sunday. So today I boiled some Go-Ferm and added it to my starter and it is starting to show some good activity.

The problem is that I really do not want to brew until next Saturday, 6 days from now. So, should I put the starter in the fridge tomorrow evening if it has progressed sufficiently, or leave it outside in a cooler place (~65 degrees) until Saturday? :confused:

I would let it finish out completely, then store in a refrigerator. That's what is done with washed yeast and it works.

I would let it finish out completely, then store in a refrigerator. That's what is done with washed yeast and it works.

+1...just take it out of the fridge at the beginning of your brew session so it has time to slowly warm up to room temp so you don't shock it when you pitch.

+2...and decant the liquid off the top of the starter after you take it out of the fridge. It should be totally clear, and the yeast on the bottom is all that you want going into your good beer.

Back