Yeast starter issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
Recently new to the yeast starter scene. I've been doing all grain for a year or two and typically use white labs yeast. On the starters I've done the yeast seems good and I see action in the flask 1400ml on the stir plate and lots of bubbling and then I pitch within 36-48 hrs of making it. I pitch on brew day and within 12 hrs I see some solid Krausen on the fermenter. Flash forward a week later I take a reading on both a refractometer and hydrometer and I'm sitting around 1.044 (og was 1.065 on a Belgian triple) seems a little slow to me compared to my previous experiences. Did a dubbel og 1.075 as my first beer with the starter only a 1L which I think was part of the problem but it topped out at 1.030... Triple is still bubbling and cloudy but just wondering if anyone has suggestions on when to pitch the starter, what could be wrong ect. I've since found the mr malty site to calculate size of a yeast starter but what's the best way to figure the ratio from there... I'm pretty sure the issues I'm facing are from the starter as I've never had these issues previously.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't think you're pitching enough yeast.

For that dubble I would have made a 2L starter utilizing a stirplate, which greatly increases cell counts.

Also I think anything past 24 hours in a starter is a waste. Let um grow a day, chuck um in the fridge a few days, decant off the gross beer/fermented wort and pitch slurry after it warms up.

Back