Yeast starter is leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I made a yeast starter yesterday morning for a dunkelweizen I'm planning on brewing later this afternoon. I woke up this morning and noticed that my starter was leaking out of the top. There was a few tablespoons worth of starter wort on the table. I did not use an airlock, just a sanitized piece of plastic wrap loosely bound by a rubber band. Here are my questions:

1. Did I lose too much yeast?
2. Should I clean it up and put a new piece of plastic wrap on it (I don't have a blowoff tube) or just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Don't worry about the loss. As long as it is still covered I would let be for now and when it comes time to pitch it clean the lip up with a paper towel soaked in starsan or whatever (non-bleach) sanitizer you use.

I'd leave it alone and just pitch it as planned. The less you disturb it the better, in my opinion.

I would be more worried about competition for the yeast (meaning infection) setting in. You probably did not loose much yeast and all that you did means simply primary longer.

If you are already making a starter you are millions of cells ahead of anyone pitching from rehydrate yeast. So even if you lost a million or cells (doubtful) you will still have sevearal million to pitch.

Back