Yeast starter infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
Made first yeast starter last night got home today and this is the bottom of the flask. Is this normal?

image-503251278.jpg

Did you boil dme directly in the flask? If so, it might just be scorched dme. I don't know... never seen that in a starter before.

And I have got a lot of yeast settled at the bottom yet granted it hasn't even been 24 hours

As long as you didn't overheat the yeast, a little scorch in the flask should be okay as long as you crash and decant as much of the liquid as possible prior to pitching so you don't carry over the flavor to your beer.

I wouldn't worry too much about how much yeast it "looks" like you have in there. If your process is sanitary and your temperatures aren't hot/cold enough to hurt the yeast then the reproduction of yeast should work out fine.

I'd agree that looks like scorched DME. I can't imagine anything else taking hold that quickly. Is it on a stir plate? If so you really won't see the yeast settle out until you cold crash it.

Well cold crash this this is how it ended up I thought there would be more yeast how does it look?

Agreed. That's a fair amount of yeast for a 2L flask - a bunch actually

Latest posts

Back