Quantcast

yeast starter infected?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently brewed my second batch of beer and I made my first yeast starter. I sanitized everything before making the starter. I used liquid yeast and liquid extract and the starter kicked off amazingly within 5-10 hours. I would shake it regularly to keep oxygen circulating. The starter overflowed a little out of the jar and ran down between the sanitized foil and jar leaving a milky tan paste at the base of the jar and shelf. I did not lose much at all compared to what was inside the jar. When I used it in my fermenter I just removed foil and poured it in. Everything took off quickly (7+ hours) and was spouting out off blow off tube for the initial part of fermentation. I am new to brewing being my second batch so I have only experienced the fermentation aroma of my first beer. This second one seems slightly sour compared to the first, although it does have a lot of similarities too. Im worried about the sour aroma, is this a normal smell during fermentation of some types of beer? Is it possible the starter got infected from overflowing?

SilverZero

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. The smell could be from the hops, my first IPA smelled like rotten grapefruit for a while, but man, it tasted good when I finally got it bottled and carbed.

Just let it ride. :)

OP
M

McGlothan

Reaction score
It is an IPA, its the two hearted ale clone. It has all centennial hops in it. The first one I made was a double IPA and had no centennial hops in it. Maybe its just the scent of the hops like you say. My first one had 4 varieties of hops in it but this one smells way more intense. It also had a higher gravity than my first one.