Yeast Starter in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyers.markg

Reaction score
Ok so I have been slightly annoyed by the ways I have to create yeast starters. I started by aiming my innculated wort into the tiny hole of a 22oz bottle (annoying as hell). Then I purchased a growler from New Belgium (considerably easier), but still a consideralable amount of aiming was necessary (plus I can only do a 1-1.5 quart starter). But can anyone explain to me why we just don't throw 1-3 Liters of wort into a sanitized primary and innoculate? Does too much air cause a problem? Has anyone done an experiment? I've never heard anyone say this was a bad idea? Is it?

Ok so I have been slightly annoyed by the ways I have to create yeast starters. I started by aiming my innculated wort into the tiny hole of a 22oz bottle (annoying as hell). Then I purchased a growler from New Belgium (considerably easier), but still a consideralable amount of aiming was necessary (plus I can only do a 1-1.5 quart starter). But can anyone explain to me why we just don't throw 1-3 Liters of wort into a sanitized primary and innoculate? Does too much air cause a problem? Has anyone done an experiment? I've never heard anyone say this was a bad idea? Is it?

I do this all the time and there is no problems at all. I brew only 12 gallon batches and when I make a lager I make 2 to 3 gallons of starter and save some in Canning jars too. Lagers are really good and if you have the cooler space you can have plenty to share and enjoy. I use sanitized foil to cover the carboy and put a rubber band around the neck so it won't blow off so easy.

There are many ways to make a starter. The way you suggested will work just fine. I probably wouldn't pour all the wort from the starter carboy into the batch because it is likely to be oxidized. But, oxygen is good in a starter, it's what makes the yeast replicate quickly.

After the yeast start to replicate there is so much CO2 that the oxygen gets pushed out the top of the carboy.

What size of a starter should one start decanting the young beer off the yeast? Or is the effect on the taste minimal?

If the beer is a pale or an amber and you need the liquid just pitch yeast liquid and all. It is so small as compared to the brew that it is not noticable in taste. Decant the starter if you want no taste effect from the yeast starter liquid or are using yeast from a previous dark beer.

Back