Yeast Starter Hot Plate Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a stir starter and a 2L erlenmeyer flask for yeast starters. I was wondering if someone had the best advice for boiling the wort on a hot plate. I have an electric brewery but need 1.5 gallons of water to cover my elements which seems a huge hassle to do a starter.

I'd like something I can pour out of directly into the flask since I've heard boil overs in the flask are incredibly common. Was thinking of using a plug in tea kettle to mix water and DME. Let it go for ten minutes and pour into the Erlenmeyer. Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJ5L2Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I do my starters in the flask with a few drops of Fermcap to stop them from boiling out. I boil the water in one of the tea kettles like you listed (I actually boil most of my kitchen water in it since it is so fast), and add it to the flask with DME in it.Once it hits the flask and the DME it is no longer boiling so I then I put it on my gas stove for a couple minutes to return to boil. With larger starters I need to do multiple batches in the kettle.

I'm not sure I would want the DME in the kettle, I imagine it would get sticky and isn't the easiest to clean. That model has a max water of 1.5L as well.

Back