Yeast starter from carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
My local homebrew shop was out of the particular yeast i was looking for and wont be getting it in till after i had planned on brewing. Since i am brewing my house ale i had a batch ready for bottling already, so i bottled it and then stirred up the bottom of the carboy and syphoned it off into a yeast starter assuming i could cultivate the yeast from this.

Right?

You can dump the fresh wort right on top of the yeast at the bottom of the carboy. A lot of guys do that. So you rack off the finished beer, then refill the carboy with sweet wort. You dont need to take any yeast out.

what about the traub (SP?) and other extras in there? Does that adversely affect the new wort?
So you adjust for that somehow in the boil?

No need to do anything different with the boil or anything else. Rack the first beer out and pour the new wort in. Give it a shake, hook up a blow off (you'll need it) and let it go to town.

so... yes? This will work?

I already made a starter out of it.

I would recommend washing it to remove the trub. There are good instruction on how to do it here and it is really easy.

I would also use the pitching calculator at mrmalty.com and pitch the correct amount rather than just tossing it all in there.

Back