Yeast Starter for Washed Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
Here is my question...I recently washed some yeast and it was divided into three quart sized ball jars. Each jar has a little bit less than 1" of yeast on the bottom, which is easily double or even triple the number of cells that come in a WL vile or Wyeast smack pack. I know I won't likely need a starter due to the quantity of yeast cells in each but I would like to wake them up, and get them working prior to pitching the yeast. What is the best way to do this? Also, i dont want to over pitch...so does this quantity sound like too much yeast to pitch? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Picture provided.

image-1528595852.jpg

It may look like you have more yeast but you don't necessarily have as much viable yeast.

You should always make a starter for liquid yeast. It ensures viability, it "wakes them up" in the case of stored washed yeast, and ensures you have the right number of yeast cells.

Mr Malty Yeast Calculator is a great tool for getting pitching rates.

You can always do a smaller 1L starter too. When you use the calculator just make sure you select that you are using a slurry.

Back