Yeast starter for Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opXus

Reaction score
So I brewed a rather standard hefeweizen, and made a simple 1L starter, using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan. I ended up with about 5G of wort into the fermenter. Added the yeast starter, temperature around 70 degrees, and within 24 hours I had a rather significant blowoff. This stuff is insane. I ferment in a 6.5 gallon carboy with a blowoff tube jammed into the neck. So there is definitely room for all of this to occur with no negative side effects.

Whats the deal? Why such vigorous fermentation so quickly? I have brewed other beers with no blowoff whatsoever.

Pitch at 58 or 60 if possible.

62 ambient is a popular ferm temp for this style. You don't need to ferment at 70 and above to get banana character

They recommend around 30% of headspace in the fermentor for that yeast and the WLP300 (which I think is the same). It definitely needs all of that headspace and then some. :) We brewed a Roggenbier at the brewery I work at and the blowoff from that was insane! It was a 7 barrel batch and got a 4 liter fresh pitch. Lots of floor cleaning for 3 or 4 days after brewday.... :)

Back