Yeast starter done in 16 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit 1.25L starter on a stir plate last night. Saw activity within 2-3 hours, a little krausen and lots of up and down movement of particles inside just like a normal fermentation.

Woke up today and looked 16 hours from pitching. it is just clean looking liquid with creaminess swirling around inside and no signs of fermentation.

Is this thing done already? I am hoping to brew this tomorrow so the extra time to cold crash a low flocculating strain would be nice.

Here is a photo, you can see where there was a small krausen ring.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469019919.523905.jpg

you're good. the little ring of krausen above the wort says so. forbidden fruit doesnt flocc too well but 8hrs old cold crashing should still be fine

Thanks @m00ps have never used this strain before, seemed unusually fast compared to other starters. Going to do a Belgian Wit but my LHBS didn't have Belgian Wit strain. Hope it comes out good anyways.

Thanks @m00ps have never used this strain before, seemed unusually fast compared to other starters. Going to do a Belgian Wit but my LHBS didn't have Belgian Wit strain. Hope it comes out good anyways.

I actually like it better than 3944 for wits. Its super fruity but smells like a dirty sock of fermented farts when it get going for the first few days. Dont be alarmed by how bad it smells. None of that will be in the final beers smell or taste

Back