Yeast starter doesn't appear to be doing anything

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter with White Labs wlp830 German Lager yeast and LME yesterday morning, and it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I used just under a pint of water and 1/2 cup of LME as that was what I had for my recipe. It has been at room temperature, and has an airlock on a 2 quart bottle.

The airlock has moved but it is hard to say if anything else has happened with it. The yeast settled to the bottom. Should I be seeing something? Is there something to look for? I'm planning on doing my brew later today, maybe in the evening. Should I wait another day?

If you dont have a stir plate, give your starter a little swirl every now and again to help keep the yeasties in suspension and not just sitting on the bottom.
My most recent Hefe starter took almost 2 days to show any signs of life!

Thanks. I did that and the wort started to bubble up, so it must be active.

It's hard to tell what's going on with starters just by looking at it. Giving it a good shake and swirl to see if it bubbles is a good way to tell if it's working. Also, you can take the stopper off and give it a nice big whiff. If it burns the crap out of your nose with CO2 outgassing, you know it's working! :D

Some say to use an airlock, I'll try it without next time. But as I'm boiling right now, I noticed the airlock is starting to bubble away, a good sign that my yeast is just fine and propagating.

Amber Lager is on the way. I just hope it stays cold enough for natural refrigeration as I have no other. And of course being cold gets in the way of one of my other passions, cycling. I have to cycle to keep the beer from just forming around my middle. You can't have everything. Sigh.

Back