Quantcast

Yeast starter doesn't appear to be doing anything

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

zacster

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter with White Labs wlp830 German Lager yeast and LME yesterday morning, and it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I used just under a pint of water and 1/2 cup of LME as that was what I had for my recipe. It has been at room temperature, and has an airlock on a 2 quart bottle.

The airlock has moved but it is hard to say if anything else has happened with it. The yeast settled to the bottom. Should I be seeing something? Is there something to look for? I'm planning on doing my brew later today, maybe in the evening. Should I wait another day?

enderwig

Reaction score
If you dont have a stir plate, give your starter a little swirl every now and again to help keep the yeasties in suspension and not just sitting on the bottom.
My most recent Hefe starter took almost 2 days to show any signs of life!

OP
Z

zacster

Reaction score
Thanks. I did that and the wort started to bubble up, so it must be active.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
It's hard to tell what's going on with starters just by looking at it. Giving it a good shake and swirl to see if it bubbles is a good way to tell if it's working. Also, you can take the stopper off and give it a nice big whiff. If it burns the crap out of your nose with CO2 outgassing, you know it's working! :D

OP
Z

zacster

Reaction score
Some say to use an airlock, I'll try it without next time. But as I'm boiling right now, I noticed the airlock is starting to bubble away, a good sign that my yeast is just fine and propagating.

Amber Lager is on the way. I just hope it stays cold enough for natural refrigeration as I have no other. And of course being cold gets in the way of one of my other passions, cycling. I have to cycle to keep the beer from just forming around my middle. You can't have everything. Sigh.

Latest posts