Yeast Starter Confusion:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WenValley

Reaction score
I've read several threads that recommend creating a yeast starter from a portion of the wort when using liquid yeast. The procedure is to take a portion of the wort, and add the liquid yeast to it, and let it rev. up for 24 or so hours, before dumping it into the main fermenter.

Sounds reasonable, but here's what I don't understand.

How is dumping the liquid yeast into a quart or two of wort any better than dumping the liquid yeast into five gallons of wort?

Seems to me that they're one and the same. Or not

If you've got 5 gallons of wort and a vial of liquid yeast you should pitch right away.
You don't want to give the bad guys a chance to get organized.

A starter will:
prove that the yeast is viable
wake up dormant yeast
increase cell count
improve yeast health

Starter wort is usually made ahead of time with dried malt extract (DME).
Yeast are happiest at low gravity (1.040 or less).
The yeast should get lots of oxygen, to promote cell growth over alcohol production.

Having more, healthier yeast means a shorter lag time, and quicker, cleaner, more complete fermentation.

I use 2 oz (by weight) of light DME per pint fermented on the stir plate for 18-24 hours and pitched at high krausen.
Or I'll use 4 oz DME per quart fermented on the stir plate for 2 days, then crash cooled and decanted.

Basically, making a starter gives you more yeast. It all has to do with volume - something with a smaller volume is going to ferment a lot faster than 5 gallons, and if you add plenty of oxygen to the mix, the yeast will multiply even more fruitfully. It isn't "bad" to dump from the vial straight into 5 gallons of wort, but you're less likely to have fermentation lag time or a stuck fermentation if you make a modest starter and help the yeast multiply.

Latest posts

Back