Yeast Starter Cold-Crash Suction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all!

About to cold crash a German lager yeast-starter in my fermentation chamber to get ready for brew day. Do any of you worry about sanitation with the suction that is created by cooling it down? Should I do something to protect the little yeasties from bugs?

Thanks!

I use foam plugs for my 2 liter and 5 liter e-flasks and don't give any thought to wee beasties being drawn in when crashing. I have a five liter starter crashing right now with the plug and it would be the very first time I've had any evident infection in almost 16 years of home brewing if that were to come to pass...

Cheers!

I agree. I loosely cover my flasks with a square of foil and don't worry either. Here's a bit of reasoning if it reassures you. The reason a loose foil covering (as used by labs) keeps your starter sanitary is that airborne bugs and dust can't maneuver, just fall straight down. And as your starter cools, the velocity of air being pulled in is slower than they are falling, so they won't be drawn up, around the bend, and into your flask. Foam plugs are fine too, because they act as a depth filter: bugs can't possibly negotiate the course they'd have to in order to get in.

I use foam plugs for my 2 liter and 5 liter e-flasks and don't give any thought to wee beasties being drawn in when crashing. I have a five liter starter crashing right now with the plug and it would be the very first time I've had any evident infection in almost 16 years of home brewing if that were to come to pass...

Cheers!

Thanks, Day_Tripper!
Wow, 5L! Whatcha brewing???

I agree. I loosely cover my flasks with a square of foil and don't worry either. Here's a bit of reasoning if it reassures you. The reason a loose foil covering (as used by labs) keeps your starter sanitary is that airborne bugs and dust can't maneuver, just fall straight down. And as your starter cools, the velocity of air being pulled in is slower than they are falling, so they won't be drawn up, around the bend, and into your flask. Foam plugs are fine too, because they act as a depth filter: bugs can't possibly negotiate the course they'd have to in order to get in.

Thanks so much, Robert65. How cool is that?! Gotta love science

Back