Yeast starter calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btaz

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a 22G lager. My thought was to make a 5G batch and use that slurry to repitch. When I use brewer's friend yeast calculator is shows that the 5G batch won't make enough yeast. This does not sound right to me. Thoughts?

It’s not enough yeast. For ales you can use 1/3 to 1/4 of a fresh yeast cake but 1/2 a fresh yeast cake for going into the same sized batch and similar gravity as previously done.

I never thought of that.
Is it because we pitch lagers at a 2x higher rate than ales, so the yeast propagates only 2-3x in a batch instead of 4-5x with ales?

If so, brew two 5 gallon batches. That should give you plenty of yeast for 22 gallons, and some to spare for keeps or another starter batch.

Ok new plan. I need about 1400B cell. Looks like if I take 1 vial (80B cells) and do a 3.5L stater I get about 720B cells. If I take about 100B cells from that starter and do another 3.5L stater I get about another 750B cells. Then a 3rd repeat of 1.75L gets another 415B cells. 720-100+750-100*415 = 1685. Add in some decay from the earlier stater and in there. I'll be getting 5G wort from a local brewery and I'll use half to prep for the lager.

Back