Yeast Starter and Step Up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJG

Reaction score
I am embarking on brewing an extract NEIPA about 1.084 OG. I am making a yeast starter but for an appropriate size starter, the volume of the vessels I have, and the age of my yeast, I am stepping it up. My first batch is 1.6 Liters, my second is going to be 3.5 Liters. I will skim between .5 and 1 Liter of the overall matrix when done to keep for later batches. My question is this: typically you would take the starter off the stir plate at about 18 to 24 hours (maybe longer) lets say, then let it rest for about 8-12 hours at temp to build up glycogen reserves to get ready to pitching to the wort. But if I am stepping up, do I need the extra rest 8-12 rest for the glycogen reserves or can I just refrigerate (flocculate), decant, and start the mother batch (3.5L) as soon as it flocculates (12-24 hours later) the next day? Any thoughts? This is my last extract brew before moving to all rain next month. I need about 500+ billion cells.

I've never given them that 12hr glycogen reserves "rest."

Once the starter turns from brown to significant lighter, getting thick and creamy looking, I usually let it go another 24 hours. Then immediately cold crash for 24-48 hours or longer, until the supernatant is clear or no more than just a little hazy. Decant, then move onto the next starter step. Never had any problems doing it that way.

I do oxygenate my starters before putting them on a stir plate (or shaker, now).

Brewing a 10-11 liter gallon batch?

Last edited:
Once the starter is done there is little that the yeast can do other then flocculate. They certainly cannot build glycogen reserves when there is no more glucose available in the starter wort. So the answer is a definite no, just decant and start the next step or pitch if it's the last one.

Thanks, I was thinking the same but started to overthink the whole process.

Back