Yeast starter active and overflowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th767

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I've got a yeast starter going since 1pm today (East coast time). I followed the directions on the back of the (Wyeast 3056) packet and have about 2 quarts in a small growler. Well, the little guys are going at it already and they are starting to overflow the top. My question is should I wait 24 hours or pitch in in the morn when I wake up (8am)? I just don't want the little guys to flow out of the bottle all night and be gone by tomorrow afternoon. Packet was Wyeast Propogator #3056.

Brew day was a good one. Beautiful day here in Central Florida! Starter will be added to fermenter full of wort tomorrow! Now we just have to power through some beer from the store to get a new stock pile of empty bottles. Hard life! :tank:

the yeast aren't trying to escape. there will be plenty of yeast left in the starter in the morning. besides they are single cell life forms how far can they run?

Some people like to add the starter at high krausen. It gives the yeast a bit of a running start. I say go ahead and pitch it.

the yeast aren't trying to escape. there will be plenty of yeast left in the starter in the morning. besides they are single cell life forms how far can they run?

LOL. You may be wrong on that one. I think they saw how many beers I had on my day off (with no honey-do's) :D

LOL, I've seen them launch right out of a carboy and through the ceiling! :rockin:

Back