yeast start should be approx 1.040?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm just about to do my first all-grain batch and HBT has been a fountain of knowledge so far!

this is my first post, so please forgive if it's in the wrong forum, or not following proper protocols...but i have a question about SG for a yeast starter.

i made a typical starter with 1L water, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/2 cup DME. i see typical SG should be around 1.040, so i used hydrometer before pitching wyeast liquid 1056 to check SG and it was reading/floating well below 0 (pic attached). my temperature was about 71F ?

i tested hydrometer in water, and read 0. threw it in a glass of boneshaker and read just above 0...so do i have a bad batch of DME by chance? i've pitched anyways, and i've thrown on the stir plate ... here's hoping.

i'm not sure what is going on...any advice is greatly appreciated!

yeaststarter.jpg

It looks like there's not enough liquid in the tube? Can't really tell from the pic. Also my hydrometers are scaled opposite, so more dense wort makes the hydrometer float higher. Not sure what's going on here...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Its 100% floating. I asked a buddy who runs a wine making store and he said the same. I filled test tube up to the top AMD experienced the same reading. Its just weird that water and boneshaker read accurate readings?

Looks like you have a still spirits "Alcoholmeter" instead of a hydrometer. You should be fine with the starter you made. You will need to pick up a hydrometer when you can for an accurate measurement. Cheers!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! Does that still male sense I'f it read normal readings in plain water and a boneshaker beer?

Looks like you have a still spirits "Alcoholmeter" instead of a hydrometer. You should be fine with the starter you made. You will need to pick up a hydrometer before when you can for an accurate measurement. Cheers!

+1

What you have is not a brewer's hydrometer.

Its from a "ubrew" wine shop used for reading OG and SG for wine kits - is there a difference?

Yes. An alcoholometer is used to read the alcohol content of distilled spirits, whereas a hydrometer is used to read the specific gravity (relative density) of a liquid. The numbering scale is completely different.

hydro.GIF

Amateur move.... Nowcthay I looked at it.... I grabbed wrong type of hydrometer!!! Thanks for the fresh set of eyes!

1411608891693.jpg

Back