Yeast smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kndmonica

Reaction score
I am new and trying to make a country wine using unpasterized apple cider, it's been about 48 hours since I added the yeast, I can't say I have seen any bubbles in the airlock system, however the smell is becoming sort of overwhelming. 2 questions : (1) I have read about checking the SG of my primary, do I just pull a small sample to test it? (2) If the yeast smell is really strong, is it possible that I don't have a super tight seal in my system, that being why I am not seeing bubbles in my airlock and is that ok?

Thanks!

Monica, the newb.

SG is sitting at about 1.082 and it's definetly fizzing rapidly. I have a Brewcraft 30L fermenter system so I don't know how tight the lid is supposed to fit, because it doesn't seal, just sort of rest on top.

Can I put some tape or something around lid/bucket to try to make the seal alittle tighter?

Thanks!

During primary fermentation (what you are doing now), its not necessary to have a tight seal, just enough to keep the cat hair and bugs out.

Back