Yeast Smack Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
Ok, so only 15 days ago I was naming my beer Screwdriver Ale because I dropped a darn screwdriver into the cooling wort. But this problem I cannot explain, nor do I know how to prevent it, or if this is completely normal.

After 15 days I popped the top off my fermenter, which fermented perfectly for 3 straight days. Bubbled, looked great. The first thing I saw when I popped the top, a floating plastic bag. Must have been the inner yeast smack bag. I am pretty sure that shouldn't have been there. I smacked the yeast bag, let it plump up for 8 hours and at the right time, dumped in the contents.

So the beer smells decent, the gravity was perfect and it beer looks good. So any reason for concern of this inner smack bag? The only other concern was the gunk around the top, it was kinda a greenish color but I don't think mold or anything.

Let me know if all this is normal. Thanks.

The green stuff is krausen that hasn't fallen in mixed with a bit of hops. Wait until you see what's at the bottom.

As for the yeast pack...it shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't worry about the inner pack - it was sanitary inside the smack pack. Next time, instead of cutting the whole top off the smack pack, just cut an inch or so off the top corner. This will prevent the inner pack from coming out, but still allow all of the yeasty juice to come out.

The green gunk around the top is krausen and hop sludge, as noted by others. No worries.

Back